Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Thing 16

Hmm...Audio. Does anyone want to hear me talk? Yeah maybe...anyway. I'm having difficulty finding how to get this app into my professional life, but I do have ideas; again, if not for me, for my colleagues that are participating in the program and/or following my blog.

As the mobile things website says, audio apps can be used to make podcasts/webcastsor to interview an author or presenter. They could be used to record a speaker at a program. They could be used as training tools. Audio can be combined with other media for any of the above examples, though there are specialized apps for that. 

On a personal level, an audio app can be used in the same way we once used tape recorders. You could capture your young child's first words or early speech. You could sit down with a family member and have them spin a yarn (though they only have a limited amount of time). Record Grandma. Add what you'd like here...

I think at this point, as said, I don't have much professional use for an audio app but I do want to explore the examples on the 23 Things page for my own use.

Audioboo...the Vine of audio apps? Three minutes really isn't a lot of time, especially for someone that has a lot to say...like me. I suppose it's a good tool to create sound bits, record quotes or make a real short pod/broadcast, but I wasn't overly impressed with Audioboo.

I looked at ipadio but quickly decided it's not for me. It's very cumbersome to use; going online to access my recordings? What's mobile about that?...No way to easily embed links and of course, I'm not interested in making yet another account, especially one that wanted a phone number, just...no, thank you.

So, that leaves me with SoundCloud...I said what the heck and signed-in/up via Facebook. I was greeted by this 
You're working on filling my stream? How? Not to be cynical (I'm in a cynical mood today, I guess) but are you using FB data to process what I like? Am I just missing a step? 

Moving along...I recorded a short, silly sound http://soundcloud.com/steve-mannie/sounds-from-tuesday-evening/s-78UjD yes, I said that...

The only downside to SoundCloud is that there are limitations:  2 hours of audio, unless you fork up some $ for more! There is the option of clearing unwanted or unneeded recordings to free up time, of course. 

As I said, I signed into SoundCloud with Facebook and it does gives us Twitter tweeters options to share there too, along with a few other social media platforms. That's a plus, if I wanted to share to an already established network, anyway.

I'm finding myself most impressed with SoundCloud. I found it easy to sign up, and I like that you can choose where and how to share, for the most part. I was too impatient to wait for my stream to be filled, but based on the description, that might be kind of fun. 

In the end, I still have little use for an audio app at this time, but if I did go with one, it would be SoundCloud.




No comments:

Post a Comment