Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Thing 12

Thing 12, Books, Books an more Books. Nice commentary on how books and libraries continue to be equated, even in this day and age; computers are a close second, but even heavy computer users expect some books in a library.

Op-Ed aside, it's time to talk apps...and a different op-ed.

Wattpad looks nice, though I'm not interested in the social media aspect of it. Maybe if I read a bit more, I would be or if I wanted to discuss what I do read (which, according to many, I do) I'd be more interested. I'll glance at the app anyhow and give my thoughts. 
I'm glad to see that there is a HUGE selection...not sure if it's millions as claimed, but who's counting? I do see that there is a nice featured section with what seems to be popular, new-ish titles and breakdowns of normal categories. I am a heavy non-fiction and occasionally alternative history reader, so these were the areas I looked at. Pretty cool to see that here too, things are broken down by popularity, age and into a suggested "undiscovered" category. There's also original stories that can be shared and created, a neat community.
I was impressed by Wattpad, but I just don't see myself using it much personally. I think it could make a good readers advisory tool, though I don't do much of that in my job. If nothing else, it's something to recommend to our patrons and help them discover it more on their own.

Moving down the list, I decided to take a peek at Freebooks. I am amazed by the fact they do have a modern section, though you're not going to find anything by Stephen King or published by the conglomerates there. Here's a quick screenshot quote of what their modern section is, in  nutshell
Other than that, yes, most of their material falls into the classic lit category. I do like that they further group these classics by author, genre, etc and make it easy to navigate. Take a look
I selected Jane Austen as an example because, well, I assume she's fairly well known...as you probably see, included is a mini biography and a list of available titles. If you look toward the top of the screen, you can see examples of other authors and categories.
I did like the ease of downloading, the "bookshelf" graphic and the actual interface of the ebook. I understand there's a highlight feature, but if couldn't figure it out.
Bottom line, I do enjoy some classic lit and this app is very pleasant to use, is visually appealing and also has a social aspect that I'll say refer above to my thoughts on Wattpad for...where Freebooks lost me was ADS TOO MANY ADS (this piece of opinion brought to you by the New York Times...for further access sign in now or sign up for the low introductory price...) now of course there is premium edition for a small fee that among things, removes ads, but then thing it's no longer FREEbooks...

iStoryBooks was what excited me the most when I first browsed this mobile thing. I have a 3 1/2 year old budding reader and iPad expert. Perfect chance to combine two of her favorite activities...or at least use the iPad as a learning device rather than her attempting to play Angry Birds on it...in all seriousness, I have some great educational apps and I'm always looking for more. 
The app initially comes with roughly 25 accessible books, which is the amount listed in the app description on the 23 mobile things website came from...maybe they've added a few since that time. As you may have seen and probably could guess, there is premium content too.
This app is wonderful and simple, it could be used by anyone, kid or adult, device expert or novice. Some aspects are a little hidden, but once found, can be tailored to the experience you want. For instance, you select a book from the initial menu, then it downloads. By default, the book will have the "read to me" selected, though that can be disabled if you'd like to read or want the child to read it aloud on their own. You can also select movie mode, which will automatically change the page for you. 
The only beef I have with this app is that the selection is a bit spartan and those hidden features I mentioned. I should mention that I personally can't see this app being all that great on a phone.

iStoryBooks is going on my personal iPad ASAP. My child will love it and it fits perfectly into what my wife and I want from our iPad, it will be fun and educational! As for professionally, I have no immediate use for it, but I could see this app being used for storytimes, or in lieu of mixed media. I could see sitting down with young children that had to come to the library not by choice, but out of necessity (such as parent, sitter, sibling needing to come, even if the little one didn't want too..happens, a lot.) and trying to improve their experience a little by showing them this app.

While the other suggested apps for this thing look nice, I have no personal or professional need for them at this point, so I decided against exploring them.




No comments:

Post a Comment