Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Thing 7


Personally, I think I'll skip Pinterest since I am familiar with it thanks to the Mrs. It is a great way to share interests and tidbits from across the web in one place and if you wish, you can find the original source pretty easily. Since Pinterest can be endlessly categorized (I think) , you can break it down and it can be divided between fun things for your personal life and ideas to use professionally. 

Bitly I will try though. I have seen countless Bit.ly web addresses in other blogs and as shortened links in various websites so I think I'll discover it a little more in-depth. 

Bitly is not really difficult,the toughest part is copying a link out of Safari's browser (which must be darned hard on a phone). Once you've done that, you open the app, select that you'd like to add a bitmark and paste it...viola, here's a link.
It's pretty easy to go bananas and start adding stuff left and right. I limited myself to literally several bit marks and here is how that looks...I imagine it can get a little dicombobulated after time
Luckily you can bundle your links! I bundled mine by work, news and sports as you can see here

You can almost seamlessly use bitly with Facebook and I joined bitly with my Facebook account initially. You can also send links as a message (text?) and email it to someone. I'd try the message option, but my phone is old and not web- connected and no one I know is nearby to try it on. I did email myself a link and that's pretty simple. Just tap the address of the recipient in and they'll get a cute little message saying you'd like share a link with them.

The last thing I found fun and impressive about Bitly is that it will tell you how trendy an article or link is (for instance, Super Bowl XLVII on Feb 3, 2014 or Sochi Olympics in Feb 2014) or isn't (My staff web page). 

Bitly impressed me. I could see this as something that could be useful in our profession since you can bundle and it can be a fun waste of personal time too and they can be separated. No need to scrounge around for links or bug a collegue, as long as the use Bitly. I like Bitly's simple interface and its ease of use, I recommend it.



1 comment:

  1. Great job on all of your 23 Mobile Thing entries! Don't forget that each time you complete a group of five things (in any order), send us an email at minn23@gmail.com with your name, region and blog name and we will add a badge next to your blog on the blog list by region.

    ReplyDelete