Saturday, February 22, 2014

Thing 10

For thing 10, I decided to try out Snapchat. What drew me to Snapchat is that it is privacy friendly and allows you to select receipients. 
Personally, I usually go with Facebook for photo sharing. As I stated in a previous blog, I wholeheartedly welcome alternatives since I hate Facebook's Orwellain ideals and how once something is on Facebook, it's there forever...the downside of using Snapchat and/or Instagram is that I don't have as many friends/followers/fans,etc and wouldn't reach as much of an audience. From a professional standpoint, that doesn't matter too much since photo taking, editing and distribution aren't really a facet of my job. My system has PR professionals for that, though I suppose if there were a display I helped a librarian with or something of that nature, it wouldn't hurt to add it to some sort of professional portfolio.

Tried Snapchat...all I have to say is, um...no one to share with. The picture is pretty boring anyway, no point in sharing.

So, I went to Instagram, logged in/registered via Facebook and oh my, did I find a lot of friends to follow. Funny thing though...they post the same pics to Facebook, which to me, seems a bit redundant...oh but what's this I've learned Facebook acquired Instagram about 18 months ago, so no wonder...I still took a little time to explore and found a few neat things. One, it took all of 5 minutes for a couple of my friends to follow me (apparently, I'm just that interesting...and popular wink wink nudge nudge) I see that Hennepin County Library (HCL), my library, has an Instagram account. I have nothing to share at this point on my Instagram, but if you'd like to search, eventually I might have something there.

In the end, I prefer Snapchat, I'm a self admitted social network junkie (80 tweets in 4 days btw) but I hate Facebook and by extension, Instagram's takes on privacy. Instagram has built in followers and since my library system already has a page there and since I have followers, this is what I think I will go with.

No comments:

Post a Comment