Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Thing 3

For fun, I started out with the RedLaser Barcode and QR scanner...for fun. I don't see a lot of professional use for this app for me, but a colleague of mine told me about a different colleague of ours that found a way to generate QR codes for her library displays. Basically she found a free QR code generator online, drew up or found a review for the book and made a code on a bookmark with that info on it. Pretty neat, huh?

In my personal life, I could see having a barcode and QR scanner, especially on a phone. RedLaser did have some nifty ways to find deals, prices, info, etc. 

Google's app is pretty nifty, but I don't use Google much on my personal or work iPad, except for searching Safari. I have a separate app for YouTube and that's the only other Google product I use. Though they're not universally loved, iOS comes with its own map program, so no need for Google maps. Google goggles is interesting, but again, no need, beyond satisfying curiosity.

Wi-Fi finder looks like quite the app. I downloaded it to my work iPad to check it out and I am impressed. It came up with several free and paid hotspots using my GPS based location. I can see if a place I'm going or if something nearby has wi-fi before I even go there. Honestly, no need for it on my work iPad as HCL has wi-Fi in all its locations, but it looks like a must have for your smart phone or on the go tablet.

I am on the fence about downloading Chrome to an iPad...no need when you have safari, though as the description on the project page says, it's good to have a backup. I do like Chrome and prefer it on PCs but I just don't know that I want it for iOS.

No comments:

Post a Comment