Thursday, May 8, 2014

Thing 22

Wow, Thing 22 of 23...I've made it this far!

I'll start by saying I'm usually pretty content with just opening the app store in iOS, but I will look at Quixey and Apps Gone Free.

Quixey is web based for me since I'm on iOS so that is kind of a turn off. It's a great way to search for apps, but I feel a little silly going to Safari, opening this page and then having it jump back to the app store if I find something I'm interested in...at least I don't have to tell it what platform I'm using (like I would if I were visiting the site on a PC). I'm also noticing broken links when it comes to screen shots, truncated or disjointed descriptions (even when tapping/clicking "read more")...I'm finding it inferior to the app store as I got the same results searching "baseball" in Quixey and iTunes/Apple's app store. One redeeming quality about Quixey is that if my iPad isn't handy, I can use the site to search for apps on a PC and not need to download iTunes to see the results.

Apps Gone Free has a neat premise, I want to tinker with it and see if I can find a "deal" or bargain "one day only sale".

After going through some preliminary "previews" and explanations and selecting my iTunes store, I see that I can ask the app to send me notifications, which is probably good...After tinkering with Apps Gone Free for a few minutes, I'm a little disappointed; I don't see a way to search for any type of app, I just get to see what the app found. I suppose if I used the app daily for a few weeks, I'd stumble across something but it's certainly not for instant gratification.

I'll give Apps Gone Free some credit since, as I said, it's a neat idea and the apps you are shown on a given day have great explanations and you can search previous days as well, but if you wait too long, Apps Gone Free will let you know that the promo expired.


For all intents and purposes, I'll stick with the app store as its built in to the iPad, it's a little more direct, a lot less cumbersome and it's native to iOS.


No comments:

Post a Comment